Thursday, February 24, 2011

Becoming....a Choreographer

Choreography: the art of designing sequences of movements in which motion, form, or both are specified. The word choreography literally means "dance-writing" from the Greek words "χορεία" (circular dance, see choreia) and "γραφή" (writing). A choreographer is one who creates choreographies.

Part of the fun of being a dance teacher is choreographing dances. I spend 10's of hours listening to music, making lists of themes and variations, listening to even more music, experimenting, dancing in my kitchen, changing, editing and redoing. I love this process, it is invigorating and rewarding. Now obviously some choreography that I do (like say for the 3 yr olds) is much more basic. Basic as they may be however, there is a different set of skills (which I am hard working to master) that help you create a dance that is clever, fun and age appropriate. Basic, but not easy.

Time, Space and Energy are the 3 basic elements of dance and choreographers essentially just mess with these to create new motifs and patterns. I am highly convinced that no one has really made up a new dance move in many many years, like 100's. "New Moves" are just old ones reincarnated to different genres, cultures, and themes.

A good dance has a lot of things that contribute to its success; music, movement, technique of dancers, venue, costuming, lighting and more. MUSIC is single handedly my favorite part of the process of creating a dance. The beat, rythmns, nuances, and dynamics inspire movement. Some songs almost beg for moves. I love that Scott is always playing NEW songs for me to hear. He will say "and listen right here....wouldn't it be so cool if..." and then he describe the movement that he visualizes complimenting and augmenting the awesomeness of that part of the song.

Recently, Scott shared these three videos with me. I think they perfectly and amusingly illustrate what a difference the music makes in choreography.
What you are about to see:

1- this video is the original, Thom Yorke of Radiohead is doing his thing. His movements are quirky and strange. My professors at the U of U Modern Dance Department would love his movement choices. I love them! If you have had the privilege of seeing Radio Head live in concert this is what he does the whole time on stage.

2- Same moves different music. Here to Maroon 5, Thom, and his crazy dance moves look just that CRAZY. And not in a good way. He looks ridiculous.

3- Same moves different music again (also better video editing....) and its hilarious. This video looks intentionally funny...like something choreographed for the Senior Men's Dance Company.

crazy, huh? I think so!

So all morning, while my baby napped in the other room I have been working on choreography (aka: dancing like a crazy lady in my kitchen) for our Spring Show to this song by Adele (just released in the US on the 20th). It is going to be our show opener, I am so excited. If I had the money and resources I would love to play around in a bunch of white flour or powder like the "ninja" in the video does. I love the white clouds of powder and the black silhouette. AMAZING....love Adele! Please enjoy!!


5 comments:

Unknown said...

I LOVE your blog! What a fun post! It is amazing what a difference it made just changing the music in those videos. I'd love to see the opening dance you're working on for the Spring Recital, I'm sure it will be spectacular!

Barb said...

Man, I love Adele. That is such a cool video. And I love Thom Yorke, he just can't help moving- he's overcome by the music- love it. (And the other videos are hilarious, especially single ladies.)

Nicole said...

I admire you so much! I used to keep a list of songs to choreograph to, and used to dream dances. However, when I actually started to choreograph, I always felt too much pressure, and the dances never quite met my expectations or resembled my dreams. So I am glad you don't deal with dancers block like I do.

Gardo702 said...

Feel the music! I really think you should be a writer too! Maybe your witiness comes from our emails in China. Love you girl!

Gardo702 said...

The gardo post was from me Brittney, wrong account.